Special needs planning attorneys are attorneys who specialize in helping families plan for the care of a loved one with special needs. They help families navigate the complex legal and financial issues associated with providing for a person with special needs. They provide legal advice and guidance on strategies for protecting the family’s assets and providing for the future care of individuals with special needs. Special needs planning attorneys also provide assistance with establishing wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents. They can help families understand the various government benefits available to individuals with special needs, and often provide representation in disputes with government agencies. They also provide guidance with guardianship, conservatorship, and other special needs-related issues.
What Does a Special Needs Planning Attorney Do?
Special needs planning attorneys may provide advice on the creation of trusts, guardianships, and other legal instruments to ensure that their clients’ wishes are respected and that their loved ones will receive the best care possible. They may also provide advice on how to access government benefits and services, such as Social Security and Medicaid, and how to take advantage of tax breaks. They are also adept at helping families navigate the complexities of special needs law.
They specialize in helping families who have family members with disabilities or special needs. Furthermore, they help families create legal plans to ensure that their loved ones will be taken care of financially, medically, and emotionally.
How Can a Special Needs Planning Attorney Help You?
A special needs planning attorney helps families create a special needs trust to provide for a loved one with special needs. Special needs planning attorneys help families understand their legal rights and responsibilities, draft documents, and coordinate with other professionals to ensure financial and legal needs are met. They can help create a comprehensive plan that addresses the individual’s needs, and provide advice and support throughout the process. They can also provide assistance with public benefits and programs, such as Social Security and Medicaid, and can help families secure long-term care and support services.
What Areas of Special Needs Planning Does an Attorney Handle?
An attorney who specializes in special needs planning can assist with a variety of legal matters related to providing care for an individual with special needs. This includes setting up special needs trusts, drafting wills, reviewing guardianship and conservatorship arrangements, and creating special education plans. Special needs attorneys can also help families navigate the complexities of the Social Security system, Medicaid, and other public benefits programs. Additionally, they can provide guidance on long-term care planning, estate planning, and investment and financial planning.
How Do You Find an Experienced Special Needs Planning Attorney?
Finding an experienced special needs planning attorney is best done through referrals from trusted sources. Start by asking your family, friends, and colleagues if they have any recommendations. Additionally, you can contact your local bar association or legal aid office to get referrals. The American Bar Association also has a directory of attorneys who specialize in special needs planning. You can also use online legal directories, such as Avvo, to search for attorneys in your area who have experience in this field. Once you have a few attorneys in mind, you can set up consultations to discuss your case and get a better understanding of their knowledge and experience.
What Should You Know Before Meeting with a Special Needs Planning Attorney?
1. Understand your child’s current and future needs: Before meeting with a special needs planning attorney, it is important to understand your child’s current and future needs. This includes their physical, emotional, and educational needs. It is also important to know if there are any specific medical treatments or therapies needed to help your child achieve their maximum potential.
2. Have an understanding of the financial resources available: It is important to have a basic understanding of the financial resources available to you and your family to help support your child’s needs. This includes any public benefits such as Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or Medicaid. It is also important to know what type of private insurance coverage you may have, if any.
3. Have an understanding of the legal documents you will need: Special needs planning attorneys can help you create or update legal documents such as a special needs trust, a will, or a guardianship. It is important to understand what type of legal documents you may need before meeting with an attorney.
4. Have an understanding of your goals and objectives: Before meeting with a special needs planning attorney, it is important to have an understanding of your goals and objectives. This includes understanding what type of lifestyle you would like your child to have in the future and what type of care you would like them to receive.
5. Ask questions and get answers: When meeting with a special needs planning attorney, it is important to ask questions and get answers. This includes asking about fees, services, and any other questions related to the planning process.
Special needs planning attorneys are an essential part of ensuring that individuals with disabilities are able to access the resources they need for a secure future. They can help families make sound financial decisions, create trusts and other financial vehicles to protect assets, and advocate for the legal rights of their disabled family members. Working with a special needs planning attorney can be a valuable way to ensure that your loved one is taken care of now and in the future.